from “How To Cook Everything” by Mark Bittman
5-6 tart apples, cut in to 1-2″ pieces (or 5 cups berries)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch (or 2 tbsp for blueberry pie or 3 tbsp for blackberry/raspberry berry pie)
1/4 cup brown sugar (omit for berry pies)
1/4 cup white sugar (1/2 cup for berry pies), plus a little bit for the top of the pie
1/2 tsp cinnamon (1/4 tsp for berry pies)
1/8 tsp nutmeg (pinch for berry pies)
pinch salt (omit for berry pies)
2 tbsp butter, cut in to bits
2 Tenderflake Deep Dish pie crusts
1) Take pie crust out of the freezer and separate crusts to thaw.
2) Put fruit in a medium mixing bowl along with lemon juice, corn starch, sugar, and spices. Mix (gently with berries and) thoroughly.
3) Choose the least attractive shell and pour the fruit mix in to it. Using your hands, arrange the fruit so that it is evenly and tightly placed in the shell.
4) Dot the top of the fruit mix evenly with butter.
5) Carefully extract the second pie shell from it’s plate and place it on top of the filled pie shell. (This shell is wider than needed, so it is somewhat forgiving of accidental rips.) Starting in the middle, pat it down to fit the pie.
6) Press the dough down around the edges of the pie to remove excess dough, seal the pie, and decorate it. I use my thumbs, but you can use a fork if you like.
7) Brush top lightly with milk and sprinkle with very little sugar. Then, cut a few 2″ long vent holes on top.
8) Bake on a cookie sheet at 450 for 10 min and then 350 for 40-50 min or until the crust is golden brown.
9) Cool at least 30 min before serving (with vanilla ice cream).