1) In an 8 oz glass, put:
- 8-10 mint leaves with 1-2 bits of stem (1-2 inches long)
- the juice of ½ of a lime (squeezed out) and the lime rind too
- 1-2 tbsp cane sugar (I like less sugar, but some folks like more)
2) Use a smasher (they probably have a better name – looks like the pestle from a mortar and pestle) to smash all of those ingredients together. I put my hand over the glass while I do it, or stuff goes everywhere.
3) Fill the glass with ice.
4) Add 2 oz white rum (or 1 white and 1 dark) over the ice – 2 oz is what makes them so deadly :o)
5) Top with club soda and a ¼ slice of lime.