8 cup water (2 litres)
1 large onion, diced
4-6 cloves garlic
1 (28 oz) can hominy
10 Mexican tomatilloes (small)
1 jalapeño chili (or a green Serrano)
2 tbsp fresh oregano, finely diced (1 tbsp dried)
2 tsp salt
1) Prepare a fresh chicken by cleaning it well, skinning and cutting into large parts.
2) Place in a pot with 1/2 a diced onion and 2 cloves minced garlic. Cover with water and cook until tender (~1 hr).
3) Remove chicken from water, de-bone and cut in to bite-sized pieces. Return to the pot.
4) Add one can hominy, drained and rinsed, to the pot. Cook for 20 min.
5) In a blender, combine tomatilloes (chopped in half), the remaining onion (roughly chopped), the remaining garlic, a jalapeno chili, fresh oregano, salt and a cup of broth from the pot. Blend until fully liquified.
6) Add to chicken and heat for 20 min.
7) Serve with fresh diced onion, fresh chopped avocado and tortilla chips to garnish.
Alternate: If you want to use pork, use red tomatoes and red guajillo chilis instead. (If no guajillo chilis, use 1 tsp chili powder).