1¼ cup sugar, divided
½ cup cocoa, divided
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup milk
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1½ tsp vanilla
1¼ cup hot water
1) Heat water to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand.
2) In a small bowl, combine ½ cup sugar, half (¼ cup) of the cocoa, and all the brown sugar. Mix with a fork until well combined and set aside.
3) In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine ¾ cup sugar, half (¼ cup) of the cocoa, the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix with a fork until fully combined.
4) Heat butter in the microwave until just melted. Pour butter, milk and vanilla in to the mix above (step 3) and blend until smooth.
5) Lightly grease a 9×9 inch baking pan (or 2-quart ceramic dish) and spread batter evenly along the bottom. Pour the dry mixture from step 2 evenly over top (layer 2). Then, pour the hot water over the top of the dry mixture until evenly covered (layer 3).
6) Bake at 350 for 35-45 min (or until the center is almost set). Remove from oven and let cool for 15 min.
7) Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.