1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 celery stalks
1 (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes, drained
3 medium potatoes
1/2 head cabbage
2-3 litres water
fresh ground pepper
1 tsp dill seed
juice of 1 large lemon
3 tbsp chopped, fresh dill
1) Coarsely dice onion, beets, and potatoes. Slice carrots and celery and shred the cabbage.
2) In a very large soup pot, saute the onion for 5 min or until it begins to soften. Add garlic and continue to saute for another min or until you can clearly smell the garlic.
3) Add the beets, celery, carrots and the can of chopped tomatoes, drained. Stir together for 5 min or until some moisture forms and it starts to cook down.
4) Add potatoes and shredded cabbage and 2-3 litres of water (depending on how thick you like it). Bring to a boil and add salt, pepper and dill seed. Reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for about 1 hr or until potatoes are tender (but beets are too hard).
5) When almost done, add the fresh lemon juice and dill.
6) Serve hot with a heaping tbsp of sour cream or low-fat yogurt.