from Love Soup by Anna Thomas
1 medium butternut squash
1 cup red lentils
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 large yam
2 medium onions
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh ginger, diced
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
4-5 cups broth (preferably chicken)
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
1) Cut squash in half, lengthwise, and bake at 375° for 45 min or until soft. Remove from oven and let cool enough that you can remove the skin. Cut in to 1 inch chunks and set aside.
2) Rinse lentils and bring to a boil in water and salt. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min uncovered. Skim off foam while cooking. Remove from heat and set aside.
3) Chop onions.Peel and cut yam into 1/2 inch cubes. Mince or dice ginger.
4) In a large soup pot, saute onion, ginger and spices in oil on medium heat until soft. Add lentils, yam and 4 cups broth. Cook for 25 min, stirring every 5 min.
5) Add squash, more broth if too thick, and lemon juice to taste. Cook another 10-15 min to blend in squash.
6) Serve over rice or quinoa. Sometimes, I put a cup of rice in after cooking to absorb some liquid if I want a thicker, curry-like consistency.
7) Freezes well.