1 lb stew beef (optional)
1-2 large yams
3-4 medium red potatoes
1 large onion (or 2 medium)
2 tsp dried rosemary
2 tsp dried oregano (half fresh)
1 tbsp dried basil (half fresh)
Montreal Steak Spice (if using beef)
1) If using meat, fry beef on medium-high until cooked (but still moist). Season with Montreal Steak Spice as you cook. (Beware – if using a non-stick pan, add spice after cooking or it will ruin your pan). Set aside.
2) Chop all veggies in to chunks…whatever fits nicely in your mouth. I usually chop the potato and yam in to 1-2 inch chunks and cut the carrots, beets and mushrooms smaller. I cut the onion in half and then quarter each half. When finished, I cut the cooked beef into smaller chunks (the size of the beets).
3) Throw the lot in to a very large bowl and add spices. Add just enough oil that you can coat the mixture.
4) Place in glass casserole dish(es) and cover with tin foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hr. Stir at 30 min and then again at 1 hr. Remove foil and cook for another 20 min.
5) Remove from heat and let cool for 15 min before serving. Add feta and pecans at this point (if you skipped the meat).