2 tbsp olive oil (to 1/4 cup)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups white rice
3-4 cups chicken (or veggie) stock (enough to cook rice as though water)
1 cup diced fresh tomatoes (sub 1 heaping tbsp tomato paste)
1 tsp salt
1) In a large skillet, brown rice in olive oil on medium/high heat. Stir frequently to ensure uniform browning. Fry until quite brown – so just before burnt.
2) Add onion and garlic. Cook until onions are softened, stirring frequently. About 5 min.
3) In a separate sauce pan, bring stock to a simmer. Add tomato, oregano and salt.
4) Add rice to broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and lower heat. Cook 15-25 min, depending on the type of rice (see instructions on rice package).
5) Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes before uncovering.