obtained from Mrs. Black (who lived on the next farm over)
2 cups Nabisco natural 100% wheat bran (or sub oat bran)
4 cups Kellogg’s All Bran
2 cups boiling water (if sub oat bran, add another cup)
1 cup oil
3 cups sugar
1 litre buttermilk
2 cups flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp salt
5 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ (optional)
2 cups raisins (optional)
1) Pour boiling water over wheat (oat) bran and mix. Let sit 10 min. Then, add All Bran and mix.
2) Cream oil, sugar, eggs, and buttermilk in an extra large mixing bowl.
3) In a separate, medium-sized bowl, mix flour, salt and soda. Add this dry mixture to the wet mixture in step 2.
4) Fold in the bran mixture (and the wheat germ and raisins, if you like) and mix well. If using oat bran, you may need to get both hands in there and squash all the lumpy bran bits.
5) Lightly grease large muffin tin(s) and fill the cups 2/3 – 3/4 full. Bake at 400°F for 10-20 min.
6) Let tins cool on rack for 10 min and then gently twist muffins to remove from tins. You may need to first loosen muffins from the sides, depending on your tins.
7) Batter keeps up to 6 weeks in refrigerator if sealed.