1/2 cup butter (not margarine!)
1 cup sugar
3 medium-sized mashed bananas
2 tbsp sour milk (to make, add a squirt of lemon juice to milk)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
FOR CAKE, add:
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup sour milk
FOR CAKE ICING (aka Brown Sugar Icing):
1/4 cup butter (or 1/3 cup)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cream or milk (or 3 tbsp)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (or 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1) Place butter in a medium-sized mixing bowl and cut it in to chunks. When it has reached room temperature, blend with sugar.
1b) If making icing for cake, also do this first step for the icing’s butter and sugar. Add cream/milk, blend and set aside.
2) Add eggs, bananas and sour milk. (If using frozen bananas, wait until they are soft enough to mash and be sure to drain excess moisture off before adding). Mix well.
3) In a separate bowl, combine flour, soda, salt and nutmeg (and baking powder, if you are making cake). Add this dry mixture to the wet mixture above and mix. When making bread, I mix using hands to be sure all large butter lumps are eliminated.
4) For bread, pour batter into well greased loaf pan and bake at 350° for 1 hour 15 min.
5) For cake, pour batter into lightly greased 9 x 13 inch pan and bake at 350° for 25-35 min.
6) While waiting for the cake to bake, finish making the icing by folding in the coconut and nuts.
7) Allow bread to cool before serving and cake to cool before icing.
8) After cooling, spread icing over the top of the cake. Place 6 inches under a broiler for 2-4 mins or until butter bubbles and coconut turns golden brown.